So I have an agent now

Friday, September 25, 2009

Her name is Ginger Clark of Curtis Brown (who doesn't blog, but she tweets). She represents a number of great authors, including Jeri Smith-Ready. She also handles the British rights for all of Curtis Brown (click those links above to find out more about her).

This is what happened (a really short version):
Sara J. Henry* beta-read my novel and suggested I query a couple of American agents. A thought which didn't occur to me before (since I'm in Australia), but I thought, why not?**

Of the three agents I queried, two offered representation. Which is pretty much unheard of, so obviously I have some kind of long-distance hypnotism capabilities.

This, for a person as indecisive as me, was about the worst thing ever. Both of the agents were absolutely wonderful agents, who'd sold brilliant books and had well-known clients. (One is a 'dream agent' for a lot of people.)

And then, I entered the Secret Agent contest on this blog***. Ginger Clark was the Secret Agent, and from that she read my full and decided to offer me representation.

So I had three offers of representation. Three of them. Which sounds wonderful, but I was freaking out.

After speaking to all of them on the phone, and a lot of deliberation I ended up deciding to sign with Ginger. She's really lovely and I'm really looking forward to working with her.

(Note: All of this occured over the course of September. Most of the time I was in NSW or Queensland. Had you have asked me about this last month, you would've been time travelling.)

If you have any questions, put them in the comments below and I'll answer them in another post. If you'd rather email me, that's fine. I love emails.

*Who is pretty much a goddess. You should read her blog.

**I ran this by my mother first. Don't think I'm doing anything without her permission, kids.

***Okay, Sara sent my entry for me. I was on a road trip and it was about 2 in the morning and I was probably in Dubbo or something. (By the way, don't go to McDonald's in Dubbo. Worst. McDonald's. Ever.)
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground